By the time the Hutchinsons bought it for £7000, the boat was in need of a great deal of work. Although the elm bottom was is reasonable condition, the footings were badly corroded. A full programme of restoration and re-fitting was begun in 1994.
1911 to 1945
Fellows, Morton & Clayton
In 1911 Fellows, Morton and Clayton was undergoing a period of expansion and to cope with the demand the firm ordered 24 butty boats from Braithwaite and Kirk of West Bromwich.
They cost £190 each and were of iron composite construction (iron sides and elm bottom). They were highly regarded by boatmen for their fine lines and easy handling.
There are no known photographs of Hampton during its carrying days for FMC. It was never paired with any motor on a regular basis but was used as a relief boat.
During WWII Hampton was used to transport shell cases from Birmingham, where they were made, to places like the Royal Ordnance Factory near Stone*
1975 to 1979
By now Hampton was derelict. It was brought back from Burton on Trent to Stone where Martin Fuller rebottomed it in elm at the cost of £350. He also rebuilt the back cabin. The stern, was in a poor condidtion. It was cut out and then overplated.
During the course of the restoration the letters "HAM[ . . . ] " were revealed under layers of paint. Martin was thus able to establish the true identity of the boat he'd bought. Hampton was subsequently sold to Sue Ogden who had it on the Bridgewater for a few years.
1945 - 1975
In 1945 it was sold to Robert Teal Ltd., Newark. It then belonged to Mr Carpenter, Burton on Trent. The boat was renamed Daisy May.
1979 to 1993
various owners **
Hampton was advertised for sale in Waterways World February 1978 when it appears to have been sold to J.H. Taylor & Sons.
By April 1979 David Jones of Chester was the owner and by October 1984 Hampton was sold to P. & S. Lorenz. It was let out as a liveaboard.
* note the precise details of this trade are not known, but boatman Tony Cartwright, who worked on Hampton, is the source of this information.
**There are only very sketchy details of the boat's history in the period 1945 - 75. Any further information, photos etc. would be much appreciated. Contact the owners on firstname.lastname@example.org
This BCN gauging record shows that Hampton was capable of carrying 36 tons.
Hampton for sale at Bulbourne in 1993.
1993 - 1997
The wooden undercloth conversion was retained and fitted out and a new steel bottom was added. An hydraulic drive and steel rudder enable the boat to be used independently of the motor.
1999 - 2005
Tim took the boat to Battlebridge Basin (King's Cross). He lived on board until the mooring fees became prohibitively expensive.
2005 - 2011
1st Major Rebuild
WFBCo built a steel undercloth conversion which gradually was fitted out by the owners. The back cabin, still wood, remained a perennial problem
2016 - 2017
2nd Major Rebuild
A nine month restoration included a new steel back cabin, a rebuild of the rotten rear hull, improved electrics, a remodelled hold area, new diesel and water tanks, a newly fitted back cabin, a paint job with lettering etc. etc.
Martin Fuller rebuilding the back cabin and gunwales
Photo Martin Fuller